Thursday, September 20, 2007

My First Sewing Project



Before I reach the point of this post, I want to say that I almost didn't include the picture on the far left because I was a little worried it would end up on Daddy Likey's Don't Show-cha Your Chocha. But then I thought, to hell with it. I stand by my decision to wear the shirt as a dress. My tights are opaque and my intention is pure! Take that, Winona! (P.S. Love the chocha-showing series, brilliant idea)

Anyway, this post is about my plaid top/sort-of-dress. It used to be this horribly baggy button-down tunic with slits on the side and long sleeves. I think my mom wore it in the 80's. I've been wearing it as pajamas, but yesterday I pulled it out, looked at it, and decided I could make it wearable outside the house.

This was easier said than done, because I am not a sewer. The extent of my sewing abilities have been gleaned from hand-stitching a lavender pillow at summer camp when I was about 10 years old. But I pulled out the family sewing machine, taught myself how to use it (which would have been easier if the instuction manual hadn't been misplaced), and got to work. I gave it a babydoll shape, a bit of pleating, and short, puffy, cuffed sleeves. I got rid of the old buttons, stitched most of the front shut, and sewed on some new buttons. And I stitched up the slitted sides. It's not great, and the inside is a mess (but no one's gonna be inspecting the inside of my shirt, right?), but I don't think it's too bad for a first-time sewing project. Especially since I had to teach myself how to use the sewing machine and do the pleating and all. I'm very proud.

3 comments:

daddylikeyblog said...

hahahaha I completely approve, as I think the shirt/dress is adorable, and you look hot! I'm so jealous of your newbie sewing skills. If I get too close to a sewing machine, it pops out an ghastly, uneven pillow case project just for good measure. Bad times.

Kori said...

haha thanks

back of house said...

you look Kori with you sewed dress. how old are you now?